Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Four good restaurant dishes with cheese


I'm always on the lookout for interesting cheese dishes on restaurant menus and here are four recent ones which would be simple enough to adapt at home. (STILL writing my current book so I haven't had time to roadtest them but they should, I hope, inspire you!)

First a shallot tart tatin with goats cheese cream (above) at The Albion pub in Islington. Clever presentation - it looks just like a classic apple-based tatin with a scoop of what looks like icecream melting into it. The chef, Richard Turner, says you use 'unripened' goats cheese, beat it until smooth then add double cream and continue beating [until you get a scoopable texture, I would guess] They served it with a few rocket leaves and a drizzle of wild garlic purée.


Next a rather dramatic looking dish of burrata, basil and blood orange at Yotam Ottolenghi's new restaurant Nopi. I'm not sure I don't prefer my burrata (a richer kind of mozzarella) roughly torn Jamie Oliver-style but the combination with blood orange and coriander was brilliant.


Then Gorgonzola and date croquetas from The Opera Tavern, a great combination of sharp, salty, sweet and gooey. (I love croquetas in any guise.)


And finally, a deliciously old fashioned starter of creamy smoked haddock in individual ramekins at the Brown & Forrest smokery in Somerset. Just flaked smoked haddock in a bechamel with a bit of strong cheddar added and grated cheddar on top. Perfect comfort food.

5 comments:

Orly Lyndon said...

Loving Cheese at the moment I blame Glynn Purnell Great British Food revival ~ I'm looking through the book of British Cheese not sure where to start

laura_howtocook said...

I love the look of the last dish of smoked haddock gratin. Simple ideas well presented appeal to me and that it one of them.

scandilicious said...

Mmm cheese :) love the first two dishes you featured, must try the latter two. One can never have too much cheese. Nice post Fiona x

Fiona Beckett said...

which one is that, Orly?

and glad you both enjoyed it @Lazza65 and @scandilicious!

Well Seasoned said...

Yum they all look delish, and some interesting combos there too!